When was my house built? Who built my house? Were nearby houses built at the same time? Did one company build this neighborhood?
Permits give info on both new buildings and additions:
- date construction was begun
- builder’s name
- owner’s name
- and sometimes architect’s name, square footage, and more
Building Permits have some limitations:
- ONLY found at Carolina Room of Charlotte’s uptown public library
- ONLY available for buildings that were inside Charlotte city limits when built
- NOT available before 1911 nor after 1985
Here’s how to find and use Building Permits.
1. Visit the Carolina Room. Ask staff to help you use the permits (on microfilm). Bring a flashdrive to download the info for free.
2. Do you already have a guess when your structure was built or added to? That will help, because the Permits are organized in four series:
- 1911 – 1935 — Here’s a sample. These are in order by date, not address (time-consuming to search!).
- 1936 – 1954 — in order by street address
- 1955 – 1978 — in order by street address … with extra info!
- 1979 – 1985 — in order by street address … with extra info!